Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birkie Fever

This past weekend we took what hopefully will become our yearly winter trip to Trego, WI to stay in a huge duplex cabin with family and friends. The above picture is with Linnea at almost 2 months. The picture below she is 14 months! She was a great companion at both ages!


Most of us go to just getaway from the busyness of the city/suburbs and spice up the long winter and have a nice relaxing time...
And then there are my dad and I who really, really, really love to go and cross country ski in the American Birkebeiner events along with 10,000 other skiers.
Not to say the rest of the group doesn't ski and partake in winter activities because they do! The cabin offers sledding, skiing and ice skating. Brian and Megan took their boys sledding more than once and Linnea even got to try our sledding for the first time ever. Our other friends of the families we were with also utilized the cabin's amenities. There were 4 toddlers, 1 infant and three tweens up there with us and we had an absolute blast!
Thousands of people wake up very early to get on a very crowded bus with long skis and poles and get driven to the start of their race in Cable, WI. Some will start and finish in Cable if they are doing the Korteloppet or Prince Haakon 12K. Others will finish in Hayward, WI on Main Street, right in town. It is very exciting!
After lots of thought, I decided to do the 23K Korte and it was wonderful! I actually felt fast again and really really enjoyed myself! I think had I done the fill 50k Birkie again I would have not had as much fun because I just didnt get out and train enough.
Here we are on the bus on the way to the start and below we are waiting to begin our adventure through the Northern Woods of Wisconsin.
Unlike me, my dad did do the full 50K Birkie. There he is below in yellow waving! He started an hour before me so I got to take his picture crossing the starting line. He did awesome! He finished in Hayward, WI in 3 hrs and 28 minutes. I did mine in 1 hour and 28 minutes.
It is a truly amazing time of year up in Cable and Hayward. It is a very special day in February that I hope we can take part in again and again. The cities make everything run very smoothly and everyone is so friendly and helpful, must be part of what some call Birkie fever...
I copied this from Birkie.com...check out the website for more fun stories and songs about the Birkie.

It’s that yearly craving for the excitement, camaraderie and challenge that can only be satisfied by clicking into a pair of skis and lining up at the start line with 7,500 other ski pals from around the world. It’s a lifestyle that keeps you fit and healthy year-round. It’s an annual test of personal endurance. And it’s something no skier wants to shake. Some of the symptoms?

  • Your home is filled with Birkie paraphernalia.
  • Your television is permanently set to the Weather Channel.
  • You think about wave placement in the heat of summer.
  • You pray for snow long before winter sets in.
  • You register the first day the new entry form is made available.
  • You train endlessly, no matter the time of year.
  • You notice the “B” word invades conversations within 15 minutes.
  • Birkie Fever?
I don't know if any of us have this, but I just thought it was clever and wanted to share! I will admit I may have some of the symptoms...but just some!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the brief description of the Birke event. And I think I like my yellow outfit after all... I think I too have some of the symtoms. Can't wait till next year. I better reserve the cabin or duplex. Nice 2 month and 14 month photo comparison.
Love,
Grandpa Keith

Anonymous said...

Amy, may I have these pics too?