Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pitchfork Music Festival

Sooo it's been a little while since I blogged!!!
I have been having a hard time motivating myself to do it because I have no pictures to blog with which sometimes makes it hard to remember what I've done.

Sadly, I am pretty sure I left our camera on the brown line last weekend on the EL in Chicago. Other than losing the camera and getting confused about which train to take a few times we had a FABULOUS time in Chi-Town as some call it.

This was my second time in Chicago and I got to see much more of the city than before (the last time was basically a 24 hour trip to watch the Chicago Marathon and go to Navy Pier)but still haven't done much touristy stuff so I'd be happy going back at least once more to do that. What I'd really love to do is throw touristy stuff into a Chicago Marathon weekend where I run the marathon instead of cheering the runners on. I ran two times with Chuck on our getaway and it totally made me want to run the marathon to see even more of the city!

Our main reason for going to Chicago was to attend the Pitchfork Music Festival at Union Park. This festival was from Friday afternoon to Sunday. Pretty much 1pm-10pm each day so that is why we had no time or energy for touristy stuff. I had never been to a music festival before so I didn't know what to expect. I also hadn't heard of many of the bands (mostly indie stuff) that were performing but going on a 4 day trip was much needed and it turned out I really enjoyed lots of the music! There were about 45 bands spread out between the three days. There were three stages and lots of yummy food and vendors and also a ton of heat and sunshine!
We made sure to stay hydrated with water and lemonade!

By the end of the night we were usually starving or wanting a drink so we tried two fun Chicago based restaurants before hitting the hay for the night. Friday we went to Portillos which serves Chicago dogs and Italian Beef Sandwiches so the boys tried those. I had a Pina Colada since I wasn't too hungry but very hot!

Saturday night we tried Gino's East Pizza of Chicago and LOVED it! We went to one of the original restaurants too since it was so close to our hotel. Many movie stars had been there and people signed the walls! It was pretty cool.

Sunday we pretty much struck out at every attempt to try something new. On Chuck and I's first run we went by this very cute looking coffee shop on Michigan Ave. and thought it would be fun to go there before the festival. Well they were filming Transformer's 3 while we were there and apparently filming it right by the coffee shop on Sunday morning. So we had to hunt around for somewhere else and ended up close to Navy Pier and ate at a place called Cosi's which was quite tasty anyways.

Sunday night after the festival and me losing the camera we tried to find somewhere to have a drink but everywhere close by was closed or too fancy for us after being outside sweating all day! So we ended up at McDonald's and some of the guys had a treat. I pouted and had nothing.

Some of our favorite performances were Modest Mouse, Robyn (someone crazy from Sweden), Local Natives, Free Energy (the Chris, Chris Corey and Chuck know two of the band members which is pretty cool), Broken Social Scene, LCD Soundsystem, Wolf Parade, the list goes on and one of the whole reasons we went...Pavement.

I hope we can find more music festivals to go to!!!
We had a blast but after 4 days and nights away from Linnea we were ready to come home! She had a great time with her grandparents. She had two nights and two days with each set so it worked out great!


No comments: