Friday, October 22, 2010

A Child's View

Our big girl started daycare this Wednesday! After many interviews and applications I finally got hired as a Special Ed Aide at Bridgeview Elementary School in St. Paul. It is a school just for special needs students and I will be in a middle school room so we will see how it goes! I felt really comfortable with the principal and in the school during the interview and have worked with many kids with special needs before, just not this age group, but I think I can do it and will like it! So once, I got hired we then had to scramble and find Linnea a trustworthy daycare which was quite possibly the most stressful experience of my life!
But after visiting 7 daycares in 4 days and making many phone calls and doing lots of research we finally found one we love. Of course it was the last one we visited. It is called A Child's View. It's the perfect mix of inhome and center. It is technically a center because it isn't at anyone's house, but the place is so homelike, family run and small. If there are more than 8 toddlers there will be two teachers which we love! So many in home places we looked at took up to 10 and just had one adult and with Linnea being so young still we wanted her to have more attention. Despite how she looks in this picture below, she really does like her daycare!

So this above picture was taken at our house before we left Wed morning. Yes she is crying but she was whining and crying all morning because I had to wake her up and she has an icky cold which was why we kept her home Tuesday. I double checked the teachers thoughts on the cold and she said you can bring her. If everyone kept their kids home with runny noses, no kids would ever come. So Linnea's immune system will hopefully strengthen with daycare :)
The dropoff went much better than I expected. Linnea had been there two times with me so I think that helped. I got her there just in time for breakfast so once I went over everything with the teacher I gave the squirt a hug and I said okay Linnea I'm going now, have a good day, we will pick you up after nap. The teacher scooped her up and brought her to look at the Halloween decorations and that was that. No crying (well until I did a lil in the car). I was very impressed. I enjoyed my day of running and doing errands and cleaning and Linnea enjoyed her day of playing with friends and being cared for by teacher Karen. She struggled with the nap as expected. They sleep on cots and there are so many different noises to get used to. I guess she laid trying to sleep for an hour and a half and then finally passed out for about 30 minutes and then woke up screaming. But the teacher got her calmed down after 10 minutes and when I picked her up she was happily having snack at the little table.
When I picked her up she had to show me how she goes down the slide
and plays with the magnets!
She also showed me the fish they have. She seemed very happy.
The next day (yesterday) was even better. She slept for 2.5 hrs and hardly cried at all. Karen said she was in good spirits but still has a cold. I kept her home today so we could have some more fun together before I start work. We are also leaving her with my parents on Saturday night so we can head to Mason City, IA for my marathon! I know, I was planning to do Mankato Marathon, but the run filled up before I registered. I guess that's what I get for procrastinating! Thank god there were other marathons to choose from this weekend so my training doesn't go to waste.

Here is the website for Linnea's daycare if you want to check it out. She can be here until kindergarten if we want/need to, which we love!


And if you want to see what I am getting myself into for work and this marathon you can check out Bridgeview's site and Mason City Marathon:



Have a good weekend everyone!


No comments: