Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sound of Music


Friday the 20th we took advantage of another wonderful free summer event Minnesota offers. We went to one of many music and movies events. This one was at Lake Harriet, however, you could probably find a free outdoor concert and movie just about every night of the week somewhere in the Twin Cities Area. Friday was also my last day of working summer school so it was fun to go and celebrate that.

Posing by Lake Harriet and all the sailboats!

Family of three...obviously soon to be 4.

Linnea and her naked baby and grandma and papa.
As I was looking this Spring for things to do this summer I saw the Lake Harriet Bandshell was showing the Sound of Music. There are many other movies being shown outdoor this summer that I would love to go to but with a job, being pregnant and having a 3.5 year old it's hard to find time to hit them all. However, I knew I didn't want to miss this one. I have always liked the SOM but ever since March this movie will hold an even dearer spot in my heart. This past March I lost a very close friend, Carolyn, to domestic abuse. The Sound of Music was Carolyn's favorite movie. She could probably quote it word for word and for sure sing all of the songs. Probably out of tune just like me but we would do it anyways. This was a fav movie of my grandpa's too, whom I was also very close with. 
I don't think I blogged much about losing my friend because I didn't know where to start and it always made me so sad. It still makes me sad and makes me so angry but going to this movie with my family and dear Carolyn's mom and some of our mutual friends was a good thing all around. Carolyn's mom made her favorite Austrian cookies to share and brought lemonade. 
We also had a picnic beforehand and enjoyed popcorn during the movie. Linnea and Chris headed home before the movie started since it was so late and such a long movie that we didn't think Linnea would like a whole lot yet. 
I know Carolyn would have loved an evening like we had Friday night. She loved so many things about life and it is a shame hers was taken so young. Carolyn will always be remembered for her love of life, children, art, friendships, family, camping and her compassion for everything she did. You will never be forgotten Carolyn.

No comments: