Sunday, September 9, 2012

Doctors Appts!

So this is another late/behind post...the Thursday before Labor Day Weekend was spent mostly at some sort of doctor's office. First it was for me for a routine appointment where I learned I was already 2 cm dialated! I was thinking I had been feeling some minor contractions but didn't know if they were real or not or doing anything...apparently they were. I realize I could remain this way for weeks, but it is rather exciting to me because I don't think my body did anything on its own with Linnea...when we went in to be induced 11 days late I think I was maybe at 1...can't remember. Everything is looking good though...baby is head down and a good heartbeat!

Anyways...enough about that...so after L and I went to my appt we headed to the library across from the dr's office to check out a pass to the History Center where we were hoping to go. Well, we got some texts and calls from Chris saying his gall bladder/tummy trouble was really flaring up and his doctor suggested he go to the ER. So that is what we did, and somehow, our 3.5 year old hung out with us there waiting for answers for 5 hours! We colored, we worked on a Tinkerbell sticker book, watched a little Curious George and a little Lumpy and played doctor a bit. We couldn't believe it! I thought about leaving and coming back with her but she wanted to be sure her daddy was okay. 

Well after some more tests and talking with the ER docs they don't think the problem is Chris' gall bladder afterall. They referred him to an Upper GI doctor (he has an appt on Sept 26th) and suggested taking out wheat/gluten from his diet in case he has Celiac Disease aka a wheat/gluten allergy. We should know the definite results from that test this week. We will also learn if he has a milk/lactose/dairy allergy. For now we have been experimenting with Gluten Free(GF) recipes and foods. There are plenty of helpful blogs, websites and tips from friends and family with an allergy to gluten so we have been doing okay with this change but realizing it is quite pricy! It is much easier to live this way now than it was years ago as many things are labeled gluten free and many stores have special sections just for GF food. We will get used to it if we need to do it, but like I said, we get definite results this week. If it turns out he just has a low tolerance of it we will decided how hard core GF we/he needs to be. He is definitely feeling better without wheat though and this weekend he also went dairy free and felt very good. He still has issues when it comes to acidic food such as tomatoes and salsa though...what a mystery tummy problems can be! 

I will put a picture of Linnea watching our GF banana chocolate chip muffins baking here tomorrow. Chris has made himself some granola bars a few loaves of bread too. Enough to freeze even! And we tried quinoa this weekend for the first time and really liked it!

No comments: